Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday Worries

After blogging about my Lenten sacrifice, I asked Kevin if it was a bad idea to blog about it, in light of scripture that talks about NOT praying for others to see, or making fasting obvious, etc. He didn't say much, he might have still been reeling from the news that I'd be sleeping on the floor for over a month. He did wryly offer to buy me a hair-shirt, which made me laugh, and for the millionth time I chuckled to myself about all the strange things I've learned since becoming Catholic. (Read about hair shirts HERE.)

This morning, I open my nifty "Not by Bread Alone" Lenten app and this was the first scripture: Jesus said to his disciples: "Take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father." (Matthew 6:1)

I have no defense, unless those two little words "in order" can be highlighted. I am not making my sacrifice to show people. I really do hope that it will make a difference in my relationship with Jesus. But I will still ask God to help me with humility and I will consider my motives carefully.

Have a blessed Ash Wednesday. (In keeping with the Word - Matthew 6:16 - I will not become gloomy as I fast today. However, in telling you I'm fasting, I've already messed up. Oh, dear.)

3 comments:

littlecbsmom said...

I don't think it as bragging, but sharing is SO good...it just can't be bad. (I am working in another window to record my sacrifice so I have to say that anyway) I am excited to know what you are doing and how God is working in your life, and it inspires me.

Las Vegas Mama said...

There is a difference between what you say on your blog as an expression of yourself, and being self-righteous and proud and trying to point out how awesome you are by these acts of love for Christ. You are sincere in your sacrifice, and it happens this is a place where you share the things that are important in your life.

Blah Blah Layla said...

hairshirt! I had to google for the visual. i'd take the shirt over the girdle any day. i always love your blog processing about all that you experience and learn...so no worries here =)