Saturday, August 30, 2008

Discontent

I've been living here a year as a tenant of Mr. Boogers and a few things are starting to drive me crazy.

The dining room chandelier,


The white walls,


and the not-my-taste wallpaper border.


This is on my mind because we did a room swap today - giving Joe what was the guest room and Joe's old room is the new guest room. It is so perfect! The kind of change that makes such a big difference I wonder why we didn't think of it earlier. So now I'm on a roll - what else can I do that is inexpensive, works well, and isn't prohibited in my rental contract?

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Hmmmm, is there a ton of wall border? If not, then what finding some cheap fabric from JoAnne's & tacking up the fabric over the wall border? Just staple it up there or something easy like that. Voila - you're own border in whatever color you want!

Entryway or hallway floor rugs make nice accents; what about removing the chandelier & storing it int the garage if you can find a cheap light fixture to temporarily replace it? Valences for the windows (watch for JCPenney sales).

Rachel said...

Check out craftster.com, on the interior decorating board, there are a lot of college students on there who rent and have super creative ideas about how to dress things up without upsetting the landlords. My favorite idea was the "lazy girl's stained glass", done entirely with acrylic paints so it can be washed off the window with soap and water. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=74642.30

Unknown said...

Good ideas! I do need to look on the internet. Honestly, I think I'm going to steam off some border and see how bad it looks. If we buy this house, he'll never know and if we don't - it will probably look better anyway to another renter!