Thursday, August 28, 2008

Plenty of French's

Do you have any particular item in your pantry that you either knowingly or unknowingly overstock? I really want to know.

I seem to have accumulated a LOT of mustard. I had a coupon this week, so I went ahead and picked up a 14-ounce French's "Classic Yellow". I was disturbed that my grocery-shopping buddy, who had the same coupon, did not buy any. "If I suddenly run out of mustard," she said, "I'll pay the extra money." It seemed to me that she was fairly confident she wouldn't run out of mustard all unawares.



Arriving home, I opened the pantry door to discover another 14-ounce container of mustard, and the big-papa-size 30-ouncer. That's over 3 pounds of mustard counting the new bottle. And in the refrigerator, I discovered another 30-ouncer! I lifted it out of the door shelf to see if it was approaching empty but it feels at least three-quarters of the way full. Geesh. Now I'm wondering what the expiration dates are on all these containers. Doesn't matter - I think even if I ate deviled eggs and hot dogs two or three times a week I still have a two-year supply in there.

I am out of ketchup. How do these things happen to me?

5 comments:

Vicki said...

Cereal - big-time. First, because it's one of my favorite "foods". I love trying new cereals, & since we just got a brand new Super Target in town, I've been able to find an entire box of cereal on sale for around $2.00 - on a regular basis!! I refuse to pay more than $3 for a box of cereal, so finding them on sale is usually what I have to do around here. When I was pregnant, I think I ate several bowls of cereal a day!

My latest & greatest find: Chocolate Chex. Oh yes, it does not taste nasty like the Special K chocolate chunk yucko they try to pass off as good-tasting. This stuff is absolutely scrumptious!

And I've also recently discovered Archer Farms cereals - found at Target, of course. The granolas they have are fabulous, but I've only been able to try one flavor (blueberry) because it's been on sale FOREVER. I'm anxiously waiting to see when the next flavor will go on sale. :)

It's a sickness, I'm sure, but yes, my pantry is (knowingly) well-stocked with cereal boxes, usually 4 in the front & several more hiding in the back of the boxes....

Laura said...

My pantry isn't well stocked with anything (seriously need to go shopping, but who wants to do that on Labor Day weekend?). Oh wait....it seems I have 3 or 4 bags of mini marshmallows, not sure why, maybe I intended to make rice krispy treats, who knows? They do come in handy when you need to bribe your children.

Baby-Mama Runner said...

Oatmeal. My mom and a friend each gave me a box of instant oatmeal that they didn't want. I bought a couple boxes that were on clearance because they were labeled for Christmas. and I had a box or two just on hand. At one point last spring I started paying anyone who would eat oatmeal for breakfast a quarter. I worked. They started eating it even without being paid!!!!!! Do you think you could make mustard soup for dinner tonight?

Rachel said...

I think mustard lasts almost forever, all that vinegar is a great preservative. My particular pantry problem these days is whenever I get to a Trader Joe's (the nearest one is three hours away), I stock up on all my favorites, then I hoard it because I don't know when we'll get to Trader Joe's again. Then when I find out we're making a trip to ABQ or LV, I rush and try to use it all up to make room for the next stock up trip. But even worse is the perishable stuff. I always buy mascarpone cheese there because I love it and it's half the price I can get it anywhere else, but three times now it's gone bad because it was too special to use.

Muddlin' Mother said...

I bought a case of Amy's Organic soup at Costco (well, several, because I was terrified they would go out of stock never to be seen again. The Costco here in San Berdoo isn't known for healthy foods). That was when I was pregenant. Unfortunately, I haven't craved lentil soup since the baby was born and the babe is now almost 9 months old. A good thing to give to the food pantry, I suppose,...