Friday, September 14, 2012
7 Quick Takes Friday
Thanks to Jennifer for helping me out with this "posting every day" idea. And to her guest host - I gotta love a girl who has an NFP link on her home page. Here are my very own Quick Takes for today:
1) My neighbor's always-half-naked pre-schooler has a penchant for war-cries in his backyard just before seven a.m. almost every weekday. I heard him this morning. And though I always admire those country homes situated on acres and acres of rolling hills with barely a neighbor in sight, I wouldn't want such a home. I like my close-quarters suburban spot. I don't even mind early morning hammering, dogs barking, or lawn-edging. All of those noises remind me that I'm not alone. I mean, you know, the Holy Spirit reminds me, too - but his job is a little harder since he has to be heard over the neighbor kid.
2) On my list of things to do this weekend: reruns. Or maybe you call them rewatches. Whichever. I want to rewatch "Dead Poet's Society," and "Shawshank Redemption." I need to hear all those great quotes in their context! And, heck, let's be honest: I've been sick all week - I need an excuse to sit in front of my TV for four hours! (After the kids go to bed, that is. Lest you think I expose my children to Robin Williams when they're still so tender.)
3) This week, with five of us battling head-colds one after the other, was not challenging enough. I have scheduled a biopsy on my neck for next week (yes, another one! - not another neck - another biopsy... I had one in June and it was so fun I'm going back) followed by two molar extractions for my eleven year-old. Tooth fairy still visits him, what do I get for undergoing the biopsy?
4) Today I saw the words "Pumpkin-Spice Latte," in an email and now I know Fall must be close. I would really like a pumpkin-spice latte. Perhaps the biopsy fairy will bring me one? I think she will.
5) My soon-to-turn-five year-old, John, recently announced the theme he'd like for his birthday party. The theme is: toilet paper. We have friends who recently had a Mary birthday party for their daughter. As in, Mary, Mother of God. These same friends say that their daughter wants to marry John. I'm not sure they'll think it's such a good match if we compare the desired birthday party themes.
6) Week 3 of this homeschooling year is now behind us. My observation this week - It is a cruel joke that although I was so poor in math, and so exultant to have finished my education, never to have another math problem to worry over - I am now educating four children at home and math takes more time than any other subject. Folks, I may have to learn decimals and percents after all. Dang it.
7) Picture of the week, and further evidence of Fall approaching: