Saturday, February 13, 2010

Three Weeks Sugar-free


It's been three weeks tomorrow since I quit sugar. AND I made it through one of the sweetest holiday parties - yesterday's Valentine extravaganza at my house. There must have been enough sugar here to give two grown men some serious diabetes. And I didn't have any. Really, I didn't want any, which is kind of amazing. Honestly, I'm not a sucker for conversation hearts or lollipops. The real test would be Christmas - eggnog and pumpkin bread and cookies and more cookies.

I only added fruit back into my diet on Monday (the 8th) and it feels like a guilty pleasure after a couple weeks of no sweets. A friend served strawberries for dessert last night and I felt like I was eating something I shouldn't.

As for effectiveness - keeping in mind my purpose for this whole thing is to try to make a significant difference in my emotional life - so far so good. I'm not as edgy as I was the first two weeks. But I'm not completely sweet and serene as I'd hoped, either. I think I need to get through a few months, not just weeks, to really tell if there is a difference. I will say that I am not as tired at night or in the morning. There is enough of a difference in my energy level to notice. As a result, I'm not cursing the world when I have to get up an hour early with a chipper two year-old (as I did this morning, though I was hoping to sleep in).

It's disappointing to discover that I'm more of a grouch than I'd like to be. It would have been swell to go through a total transformation and see all my problems and struggles solved. Guess I still have to rely on Jesus. (Funny, keeps coming back to that! When will I learn?) It is a true statement to say that this is the heaviest sacrifice I've ever made - so I wanted some heavy payoff. More to contemplate there, and when I realize anything noteworthy, you'll be the first to know!
Post a Comment