Monday, February 1, 2010

Protein Power! Another facet of Teri's new eating.

Ever count how many grams of protein you eat at breakfast? No? Me either, until today.

Once, when I was pregnant with somebody, my midwife told me to try to balance my protein and carb intake at breakfast. I found it highly unrealistic considering my stroooooooong penchant for cold cereal. But, I went to the health food store and bought some protein shake mix and that was my best effort.

Now, according to my new plan of attack on rage, anger, mood swings, and general psychoness - I have to eat more than 20 grams of protein at breakfast! (And one serving of a complex carb.) Spent a good amount of time on the internet last night educating myself on the protein content of many foods.

Breakfast this morning was two scrambled eggs, two tablespoons of peanut butter on a whole wheat pita, and a half a cup of milk. Egads. People always SAY breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day, but I've never actually seen anybody DO it.

Also, there are beans in my future. I have never soaked and cooked my own beans. Cans are just so nice and convenient. Last night I read the bag, the cookbook, and a couple of recipes online and soaked my pintos! Cooked 'em for 90 minutes this morning. Ate 'em with rice and cheese for lunch. Then looked around for dessert for one pleasant moment before I remembered I'm on Day 9 of "No Sugar!" Only stayed sad and desperate for a fraction of a second before I brewed some sweet and spicy (no sugar, no caffeine) tea. Which also helps with the lovely chest cold I have.


I need more bean recipes. And breakfast ideas that don't make me want to barf. Really, I should be planning a memorial service for cold cereal, my long-time companion. Is there a blog out there written by a girl like me with sugar issues, four kids, cooking retardation, and no love for vegetables? If you know of it, send the link my way!
Post a Comment