Monday, April 20, 2009

I Know What I Want

for my birthday. A sewing machine. If I can set it in an out-of-the-way place, and surround it in an anti-false-expectations shield, it could come in handy.

My kids have recently worn through the knees of untold numbers of pants, and if I had a machine, I could turn them into shorts rather than throw them away.

I could also crank out some custom home-decor from time to time. My mom came over last week with her machine and spent four hours turning my IKEA panels into two sets of window treatments. If I could just teach myself to thread the machine, I could do things like curtains myself! I half-sewed Cayna's Easter dress last year, and decided that from a practical standpoint, sewing clothes isn't worth the effort - but some projects might be.

So... no ridiculous image of becoming a professional designer, but no wimping out on reading another owner's manual. I'm 38, - turning 39. Almost to that "Old Dog" age when I can't learn new tricks. Gotta quick figure out which of the new tricks are worth undertaking now.

3 comments:

Blah Blah Layla said...

I wonder why sew is pronounced sow but pew is pronounced Piyew... oh, English, you perplex me!

Home Sweet Home said...

I am with you on this one. I learned to sew many many years ago in Home Economics, but since I didn't keep it up I lost my ability. Last Christmas I asked for one, but changed my mind at the last minute. I have my mom's old one in the garage and I never use it. Not only be practical to fix things, it sounds therapeutic to me.

littlecbsmom said...

I missed that home economics class or slept throught it, not sure which one??

Let me know how that goes! While I do admire people with that talent and desire I have NONE myself! Good luck! Keep us posted!