Friday, April 3, 2009

Rome Sweet Home

My "to read" pile is sky-high, currently. Yet I put all the titles aside to read Rome Sweet Home, by Scott and Kimberly Hahn, over the past three days.

The Hahns converted to the Catholic Church in 1986 and 1990. Converts to the Church, as well as cradle Catholics all over the world know them as outstanding Biblical scholars and defenders of the Catholic faith. I am thankful for them and for their story, because it reassured me as I went through my conversion (I listened to many of their CDs during those two years) and it brought me to tears many times in the past few days as I recalled all that I've been through and discovered and struggled with in my own little life.

Two things I'm thinking now that I finished the book. One, I have GOT to get my conversion testimony written down. Two, I would love for all the Catholics and non-Catholics I know to read Rome Sweet Home and tell me what they think. Oh, there's a third thing. I have resisted praying the Rosary for a long time now. We pray one decade as a family nearly every night, but I really believe Jesus is calling me to pray it on my own as well. Ack! I still feel residual doubt, fear, and hesitation - none of those from God. So we'll see what God does.

3 comments:

Muddlin' Mother said...

I love Rome Sweet Home - we read it about six years back - easy read and very interesting, talks to your heart.

What is your residual guilt with the rosary? If you're worried about the 'cookie cutter prayers' and mantra, don't look at it that way - think of it as a way to peacefully settle your mind - the Catholic way of meditation to free your heart to feel God's presence. And you can do it anywhere, running, dishes, whatever, ... but also don't feel bad if you don't want to do it. The most important thing is to be a great Christian and you my friend, are that.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Karen. No guilt at all, just "issues" left over from Protestantism and Mary resistance. The hurdle has been lessened thanks to good scripture study and understanding.

Jelaine Faunce said...

What Muddlin' Mother said. It's about getting into a good meditative rhythm to help you open yourself up to God's gentle voice.

And I'm not even Catholic, but I totally get the phenomenal meditative value of the rosary. I think, once you start, you'll wonder what took you so long to do so. :o)