Tuesday, March 16, 2010

And miles to read before I sleep

Do I sound at ALL like Robert Frost? I'm trying to...

I came home from Sacramento feeling quite elated. ("I" being "me minus my quads", and a little bit of my hip flexors.) To compound the elation, there were scads of books all over the house. Next year's homeschool books came in (joy!) along with a rather large shipment from Amazon. Kevin had some birthday money that he chose to spend on books and we used a little extra cash in the budget to purchase a few for me, too.

I know you're dying to hear the titles. Maybe I'm just dying to share.

(Keep in mind my previous post about all that I'm trying to zoom through right now reading-wise and you'll be able to picture the Everest-height pile of books on my nightstand. I can't read fast enough!)

Kevin's pile:
An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine, by John Henry Cardinal Newman
By What Authority? - An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition, by Mark Shea (who rocks!)
Our Lady of Guadalupe, by Carl Anderson and Msgr. Eduardo Chavez
Philosophy 101 by Socrates (An Introduction to Philosophy Via Plato's Apology), by Peter Kreeft
Be a Man! by Fr. Larry Richards
Answering the New Atheism, by Scott Hahn and Benjamin Wiker

And my pile, which is interspersed with one book to read the kids and two that Kevin and I are going read together-ish:
The Tale of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo (thanks, Suzie! I'll let you know how it goes for us)
Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (a recommend from the Richardsons... much thanks!)
Mountains Beyond Mountains, by Tracy Kidder (also a Richardson recommend)
The Help, by Kathryn Stockett (which Kevin heard something about and thought I'd like - set in Mississippi, 1962)
Life of Pi, by Yann Martel (I've wanted to read this for years, ever since Fr. David in Yucaipa mentioned it in one of his homilies and the plot intrigued me. You'd have to be a brick not to be intrigued by the plot.)

2 comments:

Baby-Mama Runner said...

Three Cups of Tea - Amazing book. Read it while in Honduras. Definitely assuaged some of the wealthy white american guilt while reading it!!!

littlecbsmom said...

I'm so jealous...when do you find time to read? I used to have the excuse that I homeschooled even though you had twice as many kids! Now you really put me to shame!

I can't wait to hear reviews! Let us know how it goes getting through that stack!