Sunday, October 3, 2010

Loved Little Britches

What a good book. I sure like selecting my reading from a list of tried and true titles. Little Britches made me love the characters as much as it made me want to be a better parent and person. As I read, I kept thinking about the reasons for reading classics I learned in A Thomas Jefferson Education: "Classics allow us to experience, in an intimate way, the greatest mistakes and successful choices of human history." (page 62) And "As we study the characters, real or fictional, in the classics, we are inspired by greatness, which is the first step to becoming great ourselves." (page 63)

Ralph "Little Britches" Moody, and his father, Charlie, are real characters who inspire greatness. Charlie is already great, and Little Britches wants to be, like his dad. So then, I, the reader, also want to be. I want to be like that dad! Like that mom! I want to live my convictions like they did. (I also wouldn't mind memorizing great writing like she did.) And I want everyone to know that Little Britches was a good book.

The last chapter almost had me sobbing. And now I need to let the whole story "soak in" and take its place in my memory before I start the next book: Laddie.
Post a Comment