Sunday, October 26, 2008

Check-up


I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow - for no particular reason - I just like to spend money wantonly. And when your addictions to food and shopping and gambling have failed you, hypochondria comes in handy and gives you a reason to start meeting all the doctors in your area.

That's not really what I'm doing. Is it? I have this painful lump on my index finger. Some occasional numbness in my left thigh. I had a rash, but the dermatologist took care of that with some steroid cream.

Honestly, I'm going because it seems like the thing to do every now and again. And I like a little adventure. Last time I visited a general doc, I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and depression. That dumbhead (he was) was trying to get me to leave with no fewer than two prescriptions - for long-term use - after ONE VISIT. I refused. And I changed my diet, started exercising and lost weight. MIRACULOUSLY my cholesterol dropped and the depression worked itself out. So we'll see what this one has to offer.

Every time I visit a doctor, especially as I'm getting older, I'm tempted to lie on the background sheet. Instead of putting "UNKNOWN - ADOPTED" across the whole family history section, I toy with the idea of writing every disease in the book - or at least the most common ones that scare me. Cancer, heart disease, liver failure, stroke. Yes, I might be lying, but I might not. Those could be true for all I know. And since I can't get the people who keep my adoption records sealed to pay for extra diagnostic testing, I'll just make myself look like a walking time bomb in order to rule out the doozy diseases.

I've heard this doctor is a Christian and prays with her patients. Well, at least she prayed with my mom. My neighbor goes to her, too - and she didn't get the prayer treatment. I'm curious whether she'll ask to pray with me. I'm in a rather snotty mood (can you tell?) so I might just retort, "If you think it'll help."

Well, wish me luck. What better way to start a week than with a visit to a doctor?

8 comments:

Laura said...

Teri,
I hadn't visited a general doc in years, like maybe 7 or 8 years, until a couple weeks ago... I thought it was time to maybe see somebody other than my OB/GYN. I felt like I was being proactive and taking care of myself when I made the appt. I left with no prescriptions or diagnosed diseases and I was happy to check that off my list of things to do for me. So good luck, I'll be thinking of you....

heather said...

Tere, You crack me up. I am going to remember that comment next time someones asks to pray for me....just kidding...if anyone out there wants to pray for me, you go right ahead!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I'm all for prayer, I am curious how this doctor determines who she prays with. I know prayer will help and I've even heard of studies where doctors pray with their patients and see marked results. But I'm quite cynical about adoption-related issues as well as I'm just in a mood - so I don't want anyone to take my comment as snotty as it sounds! I'm leaving in just a few minutes, so I can't wait to see how it goes.

littlecbsmom said...

I just did that too a few weeks ago! I too have turned down prescriptions and opted for exercise and diet. I am putting off blood tests because I know I have not been doing as good as I used to! It is a good thing to keep up with and I felt so responsible you know having kids and all that need me!!! Good luck!

Laura said...

so....how'd it go Teri?

Christy said...

your to much! Well, I dont know you but I hope your not dying of anything. I hear ya' on the adoption stuff cause both our girls are adopted and I have a feeling the second set of birth parents weren't as specific in their health history with their family. So I just pray alot. :)

Muddlin' Mother said...

It's always good to go in for a tune up! I chose my doc who did my lasik surgery partially because he did pray before burning off those flaps of my eyeballs. Seemed appropriate.

I always, alwasy think the worst. I about died having a mole cut off my stomach. I thought a lump in my groin was cancer,.. so it is relieving to go and maek sure you are physically okay. Now to work on the other stuff,... : )

Unknown said...

The irony of your medical-form-filling-out discussion is that we both probably should respond the same way. You because you were adopted; me because I can never remember my medical history. Maybe you could just come with me to every doctor visit to fill out the forms. Then you can have the pleasure of actually filling out this section.