Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Orange Pillow

Do you have any object in your house that holds "special feelings" for you? Other than the TV, the cookie jar, the couch...

For me, it's this pillow:


In August of 2005, I was hospitalized unexpectedly and given this pillow as soon as I was registered and given a room and a bed. I vaguely remember the nurse saying something about it being a gift from a pillow-making group of some sort, and maybe even told how to use it to help with pain if I had to cough or laugh.

Truthfully, I think it's a bit ugly. Orange is officially my least favorite of all colors and the floral pattern isn't appealing. But I LOVE this pillow anyway! It has a place of honor right on my nightstand and even looking at it evokes feelings of peace, care, joy, and calm. Weird, huh?

5 comments:

heather said...

Yes, weird.

Unknown said...

The weirdest thing is that even though I am somewhat sentimental, I don't usually get attached to things. I throw things out WAY more than I keep things, and this pillow is a rare exception. I don't get it. I was hoping to hear others say they had similar objects in their homes or offer some keen analysis into my attachment.

Rachel said...

I don't think it's weird, if you had to go into a hospital unexpectedly you were obviously anxious, and here was this bright, non-sterile looking soft little pillow made by people you'll never meet but who cared about your plight enough to make pillows so you would have something homey to cling to in that otherwise scary environment. When we're in our own home surrounded by good things every day they don't stand out, but that pillow stands out because it was a positive in what was probably an otherwise not so great time.

heather said...

Wow! Rachel sounds like a way better friend than me....listen to her :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Rachel - I'm sticking with your analysis - brilliant!
But, Heather, I'm still sticking with you, too. It says something that we can still enjoy friendship, even online, after all these years! :)