Thursday, October 2, 2008

Years Past

As I was moving wet clothes from the washer to the dryer the other day, my mind wandered. It was still late September and my commemorative thinking strained back as far as possible to remember other late Septembers.

I'll start the list with the most recent "late September."

late September, 2008 - Celebrated baby John's first birthday. Arranged a professional photograph to order the 16x20 since I started that "tradition" with baby #1. For me and my offspring, the first birthday is a significant time of "coming out of the fog" of the first year. Usually, the on-demand breastfeeding becomes slightly less demanding by the first birthday. Baby moves more out of our bed and into a crib. We're sleeping more. Everyday responsibilities seem "do-able" again.

late September, 2007 - Gave birth! The days and weeks immediately following John's birth were marked by extreme peace. I relished the two-week "babymoon" I gave myself. At the advice of Martha Sears, I stayed in my nightgown for the whole two weeks and rested as much as possible. Accepted meals from friends and help from Mom and mother-in-law. The peace came from God and from the deliberate break from usual expectations on a wife and mom. If only a nightgown could evoke this anytime!

late September, 2006 - After almost six months of "For Sale By Owner", we listed our home in So Cal with a realtor. We also quit attending our non-denominational church and began to go to Catholic Mass. We changed our decision to move to San Antonio in favor of Las Vegas. In case this sounds like a lot, it was. I was a complete wreck during this time.

late September, 2005 - My step-father died unexpectedly and my family mourned.

late September, 2004 - We moved from Murrieta, California to Yucaipa. I was just entering the second trimester of my third pregnancy and hoping for a fun two years in a cute house just miles from the San Andreas fault and bordering an "extreme fire danger" zone. Why won't that dang house sell?

late September, 2003 - Our family of four geared up for a move to Pismo Beach, California! We visited there to explore and find housing, but weeks later the project fell through for Kevin's company and our future move was "up in the air" again.

late September, 2002 - I took a positive pregnancy test and devised creative ways to announce the news of our second child to Kevin.

late September, 2001 - Despite the recent events of 9/11, I flew with my 9 month-old firstborn child to visit Grandpa Tony and Grandma Noela in New Mexico. Joseph was delighted by doting grandparents and a new place to explore.

late September, 2000 - Just into the third trimester of my pregnancy with Joseph, I spent my days at an insurance office job and my nights sitting on the couch watching my belly grow.

late September, 1999 - Our first home went into escrow. I never knew you had to sign so many papers!

late September, 1998 - We were newlyweds. I was on staff with InterVarsity and Kevin biked to school every day and worked at Applebee's at night.

How's that for ten years of a random month in a wonderful life?

3 comments:

Rachel said...

What a great post. Adam and I fell in love in the fall, so when the weather changes it always reminds me of that, but I've never tried to remember year by year what was going on each fall.

Laura said...

wow, that was fun, thanks for sharing! You have been lots of places and gone thru lots of transitions the last 10 years! You're a trooper!

heather said...

Over our anniversary dinner, Matt and I wrote down all the places we have lived over the last 12 years. I filed it away in our "important papers" file. I love remembering....what a great reminder of how good our God is!