Friday, February 27, 2009

I never wanted to be a teacher.

At different times during my growing-up years, I considered what I wanted to be as a grown-up and the list included: ballerina; jockey (horse, not disc); air traffic controller; attorney; police dispatcher; print journalist; anchorwoman; missionary. I was able to rule a few of those out fairly intelligently (didn't have the discipline to be a ballerina, the short stature to be a jockey, the nerves to be an air traffic controller or police dispatcher, the guts to be an attorney). I might have pulled off the journalist or the anchorwoman, and I did have three shots at missionary, which I loved.

But I never wanted to be a teacher until now. I want to homeschool my children, and plan to start in the Fall. As with all things I pursue, I've researched the heck out of it and am going forward. My two stipulations for myself before making the decision were that I had to be in regular therapy for my anger, and I had to research and implement better home management ideas. Both are happening. Therapy is every other week, and it's been just over a month since I started some new routines and practices around the house. In addition, I joined a Catholic homeschool support group and we attended one activity last week since my kids are on track break. I'm glad for the remaining months I have before we start to prepare, and I'm looking forward to it.

Considering that at one time or another in my past, my list of things I never wanted to do included: get married; be Catholic; run; and cook, I think this will turn out just fine!
Post a Comment