Sunday, February 1, 2009

Superbowl Sunday at the Grocery Store

What a weird place my normal grocery store became today. I went in, like everyone else, to grab some chips for the party I was attending and it was FASCINATING. First of all, I have never seen such a high concentration of men in the store. And, of course, these were men wearing football shirts. At least two seemed drunk (at 2:00 in the afternoon), the majority were older than me, and most were alone. It was odd. The chip shelf was nearly empty. Beer and soda cleared out, yodda yodda yodda - I'm not telling you anything surprising. What is surprising is that I couldn't resist buying a couple of those five-dollar Superbowl t-shirts they were selling at a makeshift stand in front of the store. Not for me, no - I wore the only other clothing suitable for Superbowl Sunday other than a jersey - I wore an oversized flannel plaid shirt that belongs to my husband. And pearl earrings. Shoulda seen me.

I'm not a fan of the Steelers or the Cardinals, but I did want the Steelers to win because our neighbor is a HUGE fan and I would have empathized if his team had lost. Also, I would have been afraid to return to my neighborhood for fear that cars would have been burning. The game did get interesting there at the end. Not as interesting to me as the grocery store, but interesting just the same.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I LOVE reading about your observations. I was at the store late Saturday night and they were out of sourcream. Superbowl Sunday has always annoyed me because it distracts attention from what should rightfully be the highlight of the end of January- my birthday:)

Jelaine Faunce said...

I was in the exact same grocery store at 2pm on SuperBowl Sunday. How did we not see each other? Like you, I was picking up some last minutes treats for a party we were attending.