Friday, February 6, 2009

Wanted: A Running Partner

Where can my new running partner be? I've looked high and low, but no one has come forward. Two people have laughed in my face (well, in my ear - it was over the phone) when I said "10-miler" and "early morning". Three-fourths of the way into training for a half-marathon is NOT the time to start searching for a new partner. You don't start looking for a husband after you've got five kids; you shouldn't wait to find investors til the building is nearly complete; and you might as well skip the glass of milk if you've already eaten twenty-two Oreos.

I walked by the gym on my way to get an evening haircut and observed all the men and women on the treadmills. Eesh. One guy was running with a towel on his head. Maybe to reduce sweat, but the look he achieved was a cross between Rocky and a serial killer. There were several women, one on a cell phone. And a guy going very VERY fast. Honestly, it didn't look very fun. They weren't GOING anywhere. How hard would it have been to talk one of them into running outside with me on the asphalt?

After another week of less-than-optimum health, I'm headed out for my first double-digit run ever. Wish me luck. And, because I don't mind offering you a laugh at my own expense - here is a list of the songs I just bought off iTunes to add to my running playlist:

"Chariots of Fire", because how have I gotten this far without it already?
"Love Don't Cost A Thing" - Jennifer Lopez
"Bad Day" - Daniel Powter (I love this song.)
"How You Remind Me" - Nickelback
"Sk8er Boi" - Avril Lavigne (no one tell Dave Hansen, PLEASE)
"Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson
"Hard to Handle", "She Talks to Angels", & "By Your Side" - The Black Crowes
"Madly" by Tristan Prettyman
"If I Never See Your Face Again" - Maroon 5
"Just Like Heaven" - The Cure
"Don't You Want Me" - The Human League
"Kentucky Rain" - Elvis
"Viva Las Vegas" and "Legs" - ZZ Top

How's that for eclectic? You just never know what will get you over a hill while you're running. Some of those are off the new "He's Just Not That Into You" soundtrack. Some of them are off my personal life soundtrack. If the song itself doesn't get me over a hill, sometimes the memories it evokes will. I'll let ya know how it goes.

2 comments:

Baby-Mama Runner said...

Very exciting! Good luck! Your first double digit run is a BIG deal. Can't wait to hear how it goes. I'm inspired by your play list as well. Unfortunately I just realized I only have $1.60 in my paypal account so I'll have to sell some stuff on ebay before I get more songs on itunes.

heather said...

You are missing "Relient K" on your playlist. I LOVE them! I am so impressed with you and your determination....you go, girl!