Thursday, January 28, 2010

Potatoes for Breakfast and Other Strange Happenings


Last night at 9:00 I started scrubbing potatoes and wrapping them in foil and Kevin looked at me like I was a little weird.

After they were baked, I let them cool and wrapped 'em up in plastic wrap and put 'em in the frig.

This morning, I cut up a half a potato and sauteed it in butter. For breakfast. It was beyond odd. Yes, I've had hash browns before, but normally prepared by someone else, and most often at a restaurant. It is unheard of for me to cook anything for myself other than eggs before noon.

Potatoes may be a new staple. And eggs, probably hard-boiled since I can do them ahead of time. And when I start getting really exotic, perhaps I will try scrambling them in coconut oil, as I have recently learned from a sugar-free friend. In fact, the health benefits of good coconut oil were twice shared with me yesterday, from friends in different cities.

It is Day 5 of the no-sugar plan. I had a twinge of longing yesterday when my kids each had a rootbeer candy from a store we went to and the van was filled with the sweet aroma. But aside from the expected grief, I'm doing okay.

One big benefit I can see, aside from no longer acting like a raving lunatic, is that I'm going to have to get better at cooking. I could slack before since all I really cared about was dessert, but no longer. I think this week's meal plan reflects my efforts to branch out a bit --- and some selfishness is reflected as well. For instance, no one in my family likes shrimp, but it's going in tonight's Jambalaya because I love it and I gotta have something to look forward to. Plus, there's chicken in there, too, so they'll survive.

Our meals this week:

Monday - Tortellini, from a DELICIOUS recipe including spinach, ham, peppers, and butter.
Tuesday - Quesadillas, easy-breezy since I had moms' group.
Wednesday - Salmon. Very few members of the family ate it, but I thought it was scrumptious!
Thursday - Crockpot Jambalaya - I can't wait!
Friday - Adobo Chicken. I've never had this before. Another experiment. Out of Sam Zien's cookbook. I like him. Hope I like his adobo chicken recipe.
Saturday - Artichoke chicken. Potentially yummy.
Sunday - Hamburgers (my kids have to eat sometime!)
Post a Comment