Saturday, April 10, 2010

Devout Life thought for Saturday

Just a couple days ago, I started reading Saint Francis de Sales' Introduction to the Devout Life.

It's divided into really short chapters, easily read in five minutes. I'm trying to limit myself to one a day, so I can really digest it - but I see some intriguing chapter titles coming up and am tempted to zoom through more to get further faster. Sadly, I probably require a little longer for the "lessons" to sink in, as much as I'd like to think I'm a quick learner.

I like this de Sales guy. He sounds so kind while he's dispensing life-changing advice on a relationship with God.

Anyway... today's chapter is "The First Step Must Be Purifying the Soul". And here is the sentence that stood out to me the most this morning:

"The soul which rises from out of sin to a devout life has been compared to the dawn, which does not banish darkness suddenly, but by degrees."


There you have it, ladies and gentlemen - I'm growing closer to Jesus by degrees, no matter HOW fast I read this book!

No comments: