Saturday, November 29, 2008

"A Myna Bird and a Cell Phone"


We went to see Santa today. I am surprised that all four kids actually posed with him for a picture. This is unprecedented. I don't make a big deal about the Santa photo - no dressing up special, no "tell Santa what you want," necessarily. All this to keep the pressure off so that if someone refuses to approach the big bearded guy, it's okay. But today they all went for it! It must be the "safety in numbers" thing. And Santa was nice enough to talk with them a little while we handed over an arm and a leg to pay for the precious photo. On the way out, I asked Joseph what he told Santa. Apparently, he's asking for a myna bird and a cell phone. What? I'm sure Santa would hate to dash a kid's hopes, but high-maintenance pets and communication hardware aren't great choices for a boy of (almost) eight. This is the same boy who last year wanted only a stuffed Santa. I kid you not - he even wrote an essay about it in school. So we go from stuffed Santa to myna bird and cell phone. I'm in trouble.

Cayna wants a "Tinkerbell thing" - which leaves a lot of room for interpretation and therefore gift shopping is made easier. Bethanie wants whatever Cayna wants, so make that two "Tinkerbell things". And John can't talk so he can't ask for gifts.

Tomorrow is the first day of Advent. Perhaps I can focus on that and put off gift decisions a while longer. Egads.

1 comment:

Laura said...

So funny.....where did a Myna bird come from? I can see why he'd want a cell phone but the bird????