Monday, December 8, 2008

Every time I go to the doctor...

... I learn a little bit more about my birth family. Now, after high cholesterol showed up in my blood again - I am reasonably sure it has to be partly genetic.

Before last month, the last time I had my "blood profile" done was late 2005, early 2006-ish. I was still breastfeeding, which does raise your cholesterol, and dumbo doc wanted me to wean immediately and start meds. Admitted he'd never heard a correlation between breastfeeding and elevated cholesterol. So I went the diet and exercise route instead of taking his advice and - miracle! - lowered it myself.

THIS doctor, who has more of my respect, said I don't need meds yet, but wants to "monitor" me. Fine with me. THIS may be the thing that gets me to lose that last ten (if it doesn't get me eating veggies more - thanks for "talking me down", Magan). And running gets the credit for many of the positive results I got today.

I have to share my numbers. I'll post today's scores and my 3 year-old scores. It's not as bad now as it was then. And I'll post again in March when I get my follow-up. Stay tuned!

Today's LDL - 182 (healthy range is 0-130) old score - 196
Today's triglycerides - 58 (0-150 is healthy) old score - 81
Today's HDL (the good stuff) - 82 (ideal range 46-199) old score - 68
Total level - 264 (healthy range is 125-200) old score - 280

I can't find the paper anywhere that shows my re-test numbers after a few months of diet, exercise, and finally weaning Bethanie. Wish I had that.

But now this is in writing in my own blog record, so I'll come back here after the next re-test. And John just stopped nursing - Wednesday the 3rd was the last time - so if I wanted to do my own little study on post-lactation cholesterol levels, I should have demanded another test today. Oh, well.

Anybody else know their cholesterol and care to share your numbers? Maybe you'll inspire me further.

4 comments:

Beth said...

That's great Teri that they have gone down. If I ever am looking for a doctor around here I'll call you first to make sure I don;t go to this one you keep reffering to. Are you sad about weaning John? I know it's past a year and all but maybe just a little sad? I think I will be sad once Abbey stops.

littlecbsmom said...

Welcome to the high cholesterol club! I have high triglycerides and cholesterol and so do both my parents! I too have been able to manage with diet and exercise and red yeast rice as a natual supplement. I need to get in for that lab work, but I've been a little chicken since I haven't been exercising to regularly! Good luck!

Home Sweet Home said...

Hey Teri. When I went to the doctor today, under the medical history the first question was, "are you adopted?" If so, you skip the questions. Have you ever seen this? I have never filled out a form that asked this. It was interesting. Of course in my kids case that would be a trick question.

Unknown said...

I've NEVER seen that - how thoughtful! But yes, in Andrew and Alyson's case, what a dilemma!