Sunday, December 7, 2008

Manic Sunday

Here's a funny story. Once upon a time I had a supervisor who thought I ought to perhaps investigate whether I might have bipolar disorder. He suggested this as nicely as possible. Calmly, and without drama (HA HA HA HA HA HA!) I called my buddy therapist and she read to me the definition of the disorder. We knew and agreed I had tendency toward depression, but she told me she hadn't seen evidence of the manic side. I asked her for an example of manic behavior and she answered, "Oh, like, you'd stay up all night re-wallpapering your kitchen. Or maybe the whole house." Not me.

Until today. Maybe the past few days. Come to think of it, why haven't I crashed yet? Friday night was my 8 year-old's birthday party for 15 young guests. Saturday was an annual pancake breakfast at my house for fourteen people. Then a Christmas parade... but back to today.

Today was Mass. That might have been enough. Coulda come home and watched football and sipped eggnog. Nope. My goal was to finish putting up Christmas decorations and then paint a wall. Even went to Home Depot at nine o'clock last night so I'd be ready. I think I need to call that therapist again.

Soon after church, we busted out the ornaments and started to cover the tree. Well, at least the top half. John is the perfect age this year to destroy anything left within his reach. Here I am with my team:


You gotta love how intense and serious I look. Especially since it was basically a "throw everything everywhere" operation. I wish I knew what major ornament placement consideration I was making here.


After lunch, I changed clothes and spent the better part of the rest of the day on a ladder. I finished! It looks great! I'm manic for sure!


By the way, for the record, that lovely therapist told me that women are ESPECIALLY difficult even for psychiatrists to diagnose when it comes to bipolar disorder. Can you guess why? (Whispering: because the symptoms of PMS look REMARKABLY similar to those of bipolar disorder!)

2 comments:

Muddlin' Mother said...

You know what? It isn't bipolar - it's 'my husbands here during the day because it's the weekenditis' and I have it too - that is the only time you have BOTH YOUR ARMS and you can do things like climb on ladders with a wet paintbrush because someone else can rescue the baby from the stairs, change the leaking poopy diaper in a flash, get the juice cup, wipe the butt that hollering at you from an upstairs toilet,.. yada yada. I'm here to tell ya yer normal. And you look great! And so does your tree. Mine does too,now that it's upright again. : )

Beth said...

Your kitchen sure looks bigger than your Yucaipa kitchen. I like the color you chose. Don't you feel a sense of accomplishment now that you have so much done :)