Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Leftovers

Kevin and I aren't good leftover eaters, but I feel so wasteful hurling large quantities of food down the disposal while it's still warm. Instead I seal it up in plastic storage containers and stack it in the frig to be thrown away another day.

Thanksgiving night leftover inventory:
turkey
cranberry chutney
stuffing
gravy
dried corn

The next night, I admitted I have little desire to eat cranberry chutney except on Thanksgiving, so I tossed it.

Looking around the frig, I couldn't find any mashed potatoes. So I got rid of the gravy.

The dried corn looked downright repulsive in a see-through container 24 hours after Thanksgiving dinner. Gone.

On Saturday, I got rid of the container of egg dish I'd made for breakfast with company Wednesday morning.

My from-scratch mac & cheese was mostly gone, and the remaining half-cup was no longer appetizing. Down the drain.

I cleared out what I thought were all the remaining cluttery odds and ends fully intending to shop today, but it didn't happen. Tonight, desperate for food, therefore observing the frig contents more carefully, I noticed a casserole dish full of my mom's stuffing. Almost a week later. Even under ideal conditions, I don't like stuffing - I wasn't brave enough to yank it out seven days old and dump it. So there it sits. What weird backwardness that the leftovers I actually liked are long gone, but my least favorite dish is still alive and well on the top shelf of my frig. Curious how long it might last in there.
Post a Comment