Tuesday, December 16, 2008

On Baking

Just returned from the grocery store, where aside from a loaf of bread, EVERYTHING I bought was for cookie-baking. This is the second year I let each person pick what kind of cookies they want. And since John can't speak for himself, that gives ME an extra vote. Here's the results:
Kevin - toffee (and snickerdoodles - man of the house gets two votes)
Me - haystacks (made with Fiber One cereal so they're 1 point)
Joe - sugar cookies to decorate
Cayna - pretzel-Rolo cookies
Bethie - peanut butter Kisses
John - chocolate lollipops

In addition, we make gingerbread houses every year, and it never goes well. This year I saw some made with Rice Krispie treats and that seems to me it would stay together better - which makes the structural engineer in all of us a little happier. So I bought a refrigerator-sized box of Rice Krispies, enough marshmallows to pave a road from here to eternity, and candy to decorate the houses when they're done. I am fairly sure we will all have diabetes when this is done.

Since I stocked up on flour, sugar, and butter - and since candy is more expensive than my mortgage payment, I spent fifty dollars at the grocery store.

I'm posting this in increments, and I now have two batches of cookies done. I did the easiest first. I over-sized and under-cooked the Kisses cookies.


Pre-assembled cookies and non-gingerbread gingerbread house construction material:


Rear view of my Santa Claus cookie jar. Also what my butt will look like if I eat as many cookies as I want.

7 comments:

Beth said...

Bryan asked for snickerdoodles just last night.

I want some of those recipes. Please share.

Laura said...

Funny, funny, funny! Isn't it ridiculous how much that stuff cost! I'm interested to hear how the rice krispy houses go, our gingerbread house last year was hilarious looking by the time we were done, I was thinking of forgetting that tradition and moving on to something a little more pleasing to the eye, but then again what fun would that be?

Christine said...

All of those things sound delicious - I hope you share some recipes. I'm especially intrigued by chocolate lollipops and rolo/pretzel cookies.

You are such a good mommy/wife to make so many different goodies.

littlecbsmom said...

I'm interested in the Rolo/pretzel cookies too, what are those???
We have had so much fun baking and I will post on that too after our next batch! I can relate to the rear view Santa thing already. Maybe this is why I never did this before???
We are going to try to make edible Christmas trees this year instead of gingerbread houses. Can't wait to see yours all done!

heather said...

Teri, ARE YOU CRAZY???? I cannot imagine making that many different cookies.....let me in on all the gory details later :)

Muddlin' Mother said...

Teri, you totally crack me up! I love your sense of humor! Move back!!! One point, Santa butt view, oh man, I think I can manage my day now - thanks for the giggles!!!

Rachel said...

I had decided I wasn't going to make any special treats this year except shortbread cookies, but just today it hit me, the urge to make fudge and peppermint bark and turtles and yes, peppermint marshmallows.