Tuesday, December 2, 2008

PREPOSTEROUS

I am an unathletic, overweight, over-eating, unmotivated, nearing-forty, poser of a runner. And damned if I don't run a half-marathon this coming March.

Okay, true confessions over. I know those adjectives above aren't true, but they have spent enough time in my head they might as well be. No more! I'm going to run that race. Not just to finish. I'm going to pick a time and try for it and treat myself to future races as well. My life is better for running, so bring it on.

I started my half-marathon "program" on December 1st, compliments of my personal trainer and sister-in-law Rachel. I've been back to running for a year now, since John was 3 months old and I had to drag my butt out of bed after nursing numerous times through the night. But today I did my first day of "Full Body Weights" (as Rachel prescribed) - which translates to "Exercise DVD with 5-pound dumbells" and it was challenging, to say the least. I haven't done that DVD since before I was pregnant with John (about two years ago) and I don't remember the ab work being that hard. Even doing the stuff the chiro/sports medicine guy gave me didn't compare to today's stuff.

I'm mustering all the "positive thinking"; gracious self-talk, and inspiring scripture I can to try to view myself and my life and therefore my running in the best light possible. Yet, last night when I sat talking to Kevin about really doing a half-marathon, I realized I was visualizing starting the race and thinking, "This is PREPOSTEROUS!" --- "Who runs 13 miles in a ROW? - For ANY reason!" Thankfully, I have just enough experience with running and what it's done for me that I think I can tackle that thought and beat it into the asphalt. I'll let you know.

4 comments:

Beth said...

You inspire me. I love that you are motivated to get off your butt and do something. I on the other hand complain about my out-of-shape body and don't do anything about it. I have taken 2 walks this week though. Our talk yesterday gave me a new desire for exercise :)

heather said...

You go girl! I KNOW you can do it!

Rob said...

You'll do great! Which one are you thinking? Red Rocks or Hoover Dam?

Unknown said...

Dam. The tunnels. I think Red Rock would kill me for sure. I've biked the thing and about keeled over.