Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Donuts Have Carbs???

This is one of my favorite stories and has turned into an inside joke with Kevin and me.

Our friend Jason's dad was overweight and diabetic. His health was in serious jeopardy and he went on the Atkins diet or some version of it. One day Jason walked in on his dad munching on a box of donuts and commented on the awful food choice. His dad, (I imagine donut crumbs falling from his lips) seeming surprised, responded, "Donuts have carbs?"

That kills me! That little three-word quote is our quip whenever something is PAINFULLY obvious, but somebody misses it.

Why am I telling this story?

I keep trying to cut out sweets. Not all carbs or flour - not that drastic, but still pretty crazy for me --- ice cream, cookies, cereal. It's difficult, to say the least - which is unfortunate since it makes a wonderful and noticeable difference in my mental state and patience level which of course makes a noticeable difference in my parenting. And in my marriage. And in my overall outlook on life. But I keep giving in after about two days.

Enter Kevin. He has decided to give up sugar with me. Dandy. Won't even have it in the house for ourselves. But we were all at Trader Joe's the other night and thought it was only fair to buy our children a box of cookies. They picked oatmeal dippers with an icing drizzle. Later I saw Kevin pick one out and eat it. I was shocked - he is the bastion of self-control (nothing like me). "Did you give up already?" I asked. This did not bode well for my commitment, I'm telling ya. But he answered, "No. Why? Do these have sugar in them?"

"DONUTS HAVE CARBS???"

Well, fair is fair, so I had one too. Which would have been okay, maybe - all in the name of humor and Cheers to our old buddy Jason. But fast forward to today. I ate SIX!!! I made it all day staying within my Weight Watchers points and then blew it with the Sugar-free (NOT!) cookies. Ugh.

I am getting back on the wagon right now. I really do want to lose this last 10 pounds and I'm going to succeed and I'm going to post the success right over in my sidebar. But if you have a second, better pray for me.

7 comments:

Vicki said...

I read an article the other day that folks who eat an apple a day or drink a full glass of apple juice a day have a thinner waistline.... can't remember were I read it, but it sounded good & easy to me!!

That's a really funny story - praying!

Rachel said...

I love the punchline. I once found a recipe for a sugar-free chocolate cake and frosting that called for semi-sweet chocolate chips. I guess if you don't physically scoop the white granulated stuff into the mixing bowl then it's sugar-free right?

Laura said...

Love it.....I'm right there with you, the last 10 seem harder than the first 30 to lose, I don't know why.

heather said...

I am right there with you, girl! If I would just stick with Weight Watchers, I know the weight would come off. 10 lbs for me, too. Way easier said than done! I just like sweets way too much!

Amy said...

I have been sugar-free for 2 months now. I feel great and have lost 10 lbs combining that with yoga and running.
You can do it!

Unknown said...

Amy! So encouraging. And way to go!

Muddlin' Mother said...

Hang in there! You are my inspiration! (she says as she looks for some sort of chocolte in the cupboards,.. don't you hate it when all you have left are chocolate chips????)