Tuesday, September 30, 2008

October Eve

I AM going to go with the "breathe, blink, let my heart beat" goal for the month of October. But I'm still itching to make a list of some kind. I just won't make it "goals". Maybe "ideas?" "Suggestions?"

The new, no-pressure, lower-expectations-Teri is going to set myself up for success. Here goes:

In October, I resolve to stay home from Napa Valley. I will notice and affirm the cleanest parts of the house (i.e. the ceiling) rather than fret about the toilets and the crusty sheets. My children will receive my undivided attention as long as I'm not on the phone, the computer, the toilet, or a sugar high. If hubby and I don't get at least one date night, we will for sure watch "The Office" weekly. Maybe pop popcorn. And hold hands. If I can't remember the birthdays of friends and extended family, the least I can do is eat cake in their collective honor once this month - or ice cream, or several cookies, whatever. My Bible reading is going along at a snail's pace, and this is just fine. Should I not achieve the preparation of one new gourmet meal, I at least promise to refrain from making anything containing SPAM. Or trout. Or any fish, since the rest of my family hates it. BUT, if any friend, family member, acquaintance, neighbor, political candidate or church associate should invite me out to a seafood restaurant in October, I will go. I will not make any money this month. I won't wear out my clothes. I still won't be able to do a cartwheel. It's my intention to exercise. "Goal," as I've realized, is too strong a word - but it's my intention to exercise. I am a smashing success and athlete to be revered if I don the running shoes and get out the door. And I will blog.

I feel pretty good. I think I've set myself up for a winning month. I won't need to come back just before November to check in, you can be sure I will have accomplished everything above quite nicely.

5 comments:

Muddlin' Mother said...

You are my hero! I'm with you!

Laura said...

Teri I love you, and you're an inspiration to us all! October is going to be great!

heather said...

ok, I am laughing out loud. You are so stinkin' funny....have I said that too much? Do I sound like a stalker? Anyway, you rock. I HAVE to send this post to everyone I know who would enjoy a good laugh. I think I would like to read it aloud at MOPS if I have your permission.

Unknown said...

Of COURSE you haven't said it too much! Say it more! Toss in a compliment about my hair! (I'll know you're lying if you say it looks like I've lost weight - since we both know I haven't.)
Anyway, I'd love for you to read it at MOPS. I'm honored! Let me know if they laugh or look at you weird.

Rachel said...

I love it! Since I'm going to be there this month, I'll bring the cake!