Monday, September 29, 2008

He's sleeping, I'm dreaming

Last night was the second night, in a row, EVER that John slept all night. In a crib, in a room separate from us. Actually, he woke up 2 or 3 times but cried for about 1 minute and went back to sleep. And I never had to get out of bed or nurse him.

I really expect any night now to get more than 4 hours in a row for the first time in a looooooooooooooooooooong time!

Last night, though my sleep was interrupted, it was nothing like the usual. He is officially night-weaned! And I woke up this morning and actually remembered a dream I'd had. That means I got enough sleep to actually have a dream and recall it. Funny, since it seems I'M LIVING a dream, finally having a baby sleep through the night.

Final little word on the weirdness of motherhood. Yesterday, after my first night apart from little John in 12 months of life and 9 months of pregnancy - I gave him a close morning hug. I kissed his cheek and said, "I missed you!" Then I heard what I said and found it odd since I was SO delighted to have slept and I thought for a second, "Do I mean that? Did I really miss him?" And I realized I really did miss him and at the same time I am really glad to be sleeping. What is that? Irony? Dichotomy? What? Whatever it is, my life as a mom of four children is FULL of it.

2 comments:

heather said...

I totally relate! I do miss them BUT I miss my sleep, too! I remember having that "first" dream, too.....after many, many, many nights of not dreaming.

Rachel said...

I can't tell you how many times I've looked at my girls playing across the room and thought, "I miss the days when they were always on my lap." But at the same time, it's such a relief to have my hands free to do things, and be able to get up whenever I want to without clinging little hands. The little boy still clings sometimes, but it's so much easier than when two of them were doing it at once .