Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thank God the Firemen Didn't Answer

What would you do?

You are responsible for picking up hordes of children after school, and almost weren't able to safely drop them off because one offspring (who shall remain nameless) somehow wrapped the seatbelt on a crucial passenger seat around the seat and locked it there.

Well, what you would do doesn't matter to my story, since it's all resolved now, but next time, call and offer help, wouldja?

I need the seatbelt fixed. My faithful friend Monica suggested contacting the dealer, but I don't want to drive all the way over there AND possibly get charged. The owner's manual was no help. Apparently, Honda isn't aware that crafty kids can render seatbelts useless. Husband is in an all-day meeting with OSHA, but text-messaged me saying my idea to ask a firefighter for some help might not be a bad one. So I did what any desperate housewife would do - I drove to the fire station, parked my mini-van full of stains and walked up to the front door and rang the doorbell. Wait. Wait more. Tell three year-old that the nice firemen are probably not answering because they can see me on the security camera and can tell by my demeanor that my emergency is nothing more than a cat stuck up a tree. Leave.

Go to neighbor's house (thank God for InterVarsity staff - they rarely get stuck in OSHA meetings) and watch as he - read closely here, it's mechanical genius - tilts the seat back, thereby quickly and easily restoring the seatbelt to it's proper position. Mike knows I at least have half a brain. The firemen might have thought I conjured up this problem to get out of the house. I'm sooooooo glad they didn't answer their doorbell!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm even thankful on your behalf the firemen didn't answer. That would have been embarassing. If it makes you feel better, I tried to fix the garbage disposal this morning and ended up in one of those situations where I had to keep taking more and more stuff apart to fix what I'd already done. I THINK I got it all back together, and Adam doesn't have to know about my adventures in plumbing.

Laura said...

Teri, you are soooo funny! Too bad a really cute fireman didn't answer.

Muddlin' Mother said...

If it makes you feel better, I took my car in once because the lights didn't work. All he did was push a button and voila! Lights were working. He also charged me 20 bucks. That's the last time I've let a toddler 'drive the car',...

heather said...

Hilarious!

Home Sweet Home said...

I think you were here when Andrew managed to wrap the seatbelt around his neck and lock it. Lucky me though I was picking my sister up from the Toyota dealer and the nice guy at the Toyota dealer took the whole seatbelt apart and put it back together in my Chevy! No charge! It was a little scarry becaue it was tightly wrapped around his neck.

Rob said...

The thing about Nalley is that with his head size, his brain is 3 times the size and strength of the rest of us...