Monday, September 22, 2008

If I had a job at the food lab...

... I'm fairly certain I would spend the bulk of my work hours trying to devise something that makes healthier food taste and feel like pumpkin bread. I have quite a bit of trouble getting my "5 servings of fruits and veggies" per day. Or "2 1/2 cups of veggies" - but I have no such problem finishing a loaf of pumpkin bread all by myself with no coaxing from the folks at nutrition headquarters.

So... guess what happened to me at Trader Joe's? I spotted this nifty little jar of Pumpkin Butter! It's a 10-ounce jar of goodness with the following ingredients: Pumpkin, Sugar, Honey, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Spices. To me, this sounds like pumpkin bread in baby food form. Or, like something I can spread on everyday whole wheat break and VOILA! -- pumpkin bread. Kinda. Without the baking.

I tried it on toast once I arrived at home and it was pretty darn tasty. Not quite as binge-inspiring as real pumpkin bread, but that's a good thing, I think!

Going back to my food lab daydreams, I'm now wondering if I can spread this stuff on broccoli and change my life!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You crack me up. You know Trader Joe's has some really awesome prepared salads. During our week in Albuquerque recently I had different ones for lunch and dinner like three days in a row. I have the same problems with veggies, the thing is, when I take the time to prepare them right I LOVE them, but it's so much easier to open the plastic wrapper and stick something less healthy in your mouth.