Friday, September 12, 2008

Admitting my twaddle


Lured by the well-arranged display of books at the GROCERY STORE of all places, I impulsively bought a book (just like they want you to) whilst "picking up" some milk and eggs a month or so ago. Then She Found Me is by Elinor Lipman and really didn't impress my socks off. I'll tell you why: 1) I'm an impossible audience. Being an adoptee myself, I have some fantasies in the area of "Being Found" and Lipman's characters didn't fit into my fantasy. 2) Since the book was recently made into a movie, this paperback edition sported a movie photo on the cover including stars Bette Midler and Helen Hunt. I like both actresses well enough, but there are many reasons Bette Midler especially doesn't fit into my "Being Found" fantasy. The whole undertaking of reading this book was jinxed from the beginning.

Tonight, in a display of just what a glutton for punishment I am - I have rented the movie. I will report back later with my review. Try to contain your excitement.

Since I spent some time on my good friend's blog today and read her mention of "twaddle" (see: Charlotte Mason - teaching methods) - I will share this review quote from the Chicago Tribune which tries so SO hard to lend the author some merit:

"If Jane Austen had been born about two centuries later, gone to Smith, then palled around with Fran Lebowitz, chances are she'd have written like Elinor Lipman..." Hm.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love it that you used "twaddle" in your post title. And why, after that lukewarm review, do I want to read that book now? You didn't actually say the writing was bad, just that the story doesn't fit your personal fantasy. And, I could be Jane Austen if she grew up in the Midwest, went to BYU, and had three kids who didn't leave her time to imagine, much less write.