Thursday, September 4, 2008

Is it too much to ask? (bit of a complaint post)

I really want to be able to leave a load of laundry in the washer for a day or two (or even longer) after it has completed a wash cycle without the black creeping mold on the doorseal getting so increasingly awful.

If I'm going to succeed in lowering my sugar intake, I'm going to need to find another breakfast besides sweetened cold cereal that is just as low maintenance in the morning when I am half asleep and not about to actually COOK.

Same goes for lunch, actually, when I think about it.

And dinner. Although I rarely try to serve my family cold cereal for dinner, it has been known to happen under certain circumstances.

For a bug service to actually RID MY KITCHEN OF FREAKING FIRE ANTS???????

My nearly one year-old could change my life if he would just sleep longer than 3 or MAYBE 4 hours at a time. Let's add this up: thanks to sleep deprivation while pregnant due to having to pee through the night; and crazy newborns who have to eat nonstop to maintain their 11-pound figures; then they stay in the habit througout the first year --- I have not slept through the night in AT LEAST 21 months, ladies and gentlemen. No wonder I'm a moody son-of-a-gun.

It is after 10:00. I gotta go to bed.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

My standby easy breakfast is whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a little honey. The peanut butter has enough protein to get me going, and you'd be amazed how far just a little bit of honey goes. If I'm being indulgent I use the cashew macadamia nut butter from Trader Joe's with agave nectar.

Vicki said...

Can't help you on the breakfast dept. because...after repeated attempts at trying things organic...like peanut butter, I simply can't stomach the idea of a world without sugar.

But I am sooooo sympathetic with you on the sleep deprivation. Sorry to hear it's been so long for you. I think it was about 20 months for me before I finally could sleep through the night, even though bubbs was sleeping through the night (about 6 hrs anyway) around 15 months.

And yes, I believe I was certifiably loony during that time myself - I can't even stand looking at pictures of me during that time because all I can see is a zombie... it will get better, I promise!!!

Laura said...

Wow, 21 months of sleep deprivation, that might be a world record Teri! Lack of one night's sleep can do something to a person but a consecutive 21 months? When did your other children sleep thru the night? Oh I feel for you, Grace was up 2 times last night (not normal for her) and I'm dying....hang in there, I know it gets better.

heather said...

I was just thinking this morning (before I even read your post) about how thrilled I am that I am not pregnant, breast feeding, or potty training at this very moment in time! Not to kick you when you're down but "yay for me" :-)
Anyway, you can kick me come Christmas time when I start potty training Luke.

Unknown said...

My other 3 started sleeping through the night around a year, but I'm worried b/c John doesn't seem to be moving in that direction and his birthday is days away.

Heather, I promise not to kick you, but I will say that I dislike potty training more than ANY other aspect of childraising. Seriously. Hate it. AND I am terrible at it. I say don't ruin your holiday season - wait until January!

Muddlin' Mother said...

I'm sorry, but I'm soooo glad to know I am not alone in the universe!!! What is it with babies? And are all those people who say their kids sleep 10 - 12 hours at 4 months LYING? I can't wait to wake up in the morning refreshed and ready to go, instead of achey and needing an entire pot of coffee.

Ginkgo100 said...

When I was pregnant I developed gestational diabetes. I always ate dry unsweetened cereal for breakfast, but even unsweetened, it had too much carb (the worst kind of carb, too) for a diabetic. Made my blood sugar go insane. But I found a replacement.

Trail mix!

Even the kind with chocolate in it does not have as much sugar and other carbohydrate as unsweetened cereal, let alone sweetened. And the fat and protein in the nuts keeps your blood sugar steadier, too, which should help with things like cravings, even if you're not diabetic.