Friday, September 19, 2008

Paint, Drive, Run, Stink

If you aren't into running, then I'll be happy to be the one to tell you that it's a really cool thing to form a relay team and take on long-distance races from places like Boulder, Colorado, for example, to, say--- I don't know, somewhere really far from Boulder, Colorado but equally as trendy. In order to do this, you have to be accustomed to sleep deprivation (moms of young children, we've found our niche!) and you have to have a hip support vehicle. This is the car/van/bus/whatever that essentially "follows" you on the run providing your own cheering section and a lot of Gatorade. It is also where you crash in all your sweaty glory while one of your team members is out on the road burning up the miles.

I have a GREAT idea about this relay vehicle. I want to buy a big old jolly bus. Then I want to enlist my children and any other children and let them paint the bus from top to bottom in bright and cheery "make-you-want-to-keep-running" colors. With the bus fully stocked, my relay team and I will set out for the start of the race. We will run like the wind, and our fun bus will be there, full of kids, non-running spouses, and probably a gerbil (every whimsical story like this involves a pet of some sort, and my kids are deathly afraid of dogs). The relay will last less than a week, but long enough that the bus will probably get kind of stinky. This is okay, because we will be enjoying the outdoors, the pursuit of bizarre American athleticism, and memory-making to the extreme.


I need some people to join my relay team. Are you in?

2 comments:

Baby-Mama Runner said...

Yes, I'm in!!! Definitely! Then we can enter our cool bus in the art car parade in Houston!

Muddlin' Mother said...

Oh, I'm in! I just have to get rid of this foot problem! What a news story we would be! 'Bloggers Relay Across America!" So much for couch potatoes!