Saturday, September 6, 2008

Writing

You don't need to read about my weight GAIN of all things.

My revelation about authority issues is worth hashing through, but until I get some more sleep I don't think I can gather the thoughts.

And I really want to hear what you might think about this "secret" blog I keep reading, but I don't have the guts to share it yet.

So... inspired by Laura and her Erma Bombeck post, I want to list my favorite authors. If I ever fulfill my dream of writing something publishable (is that a word?) - these are the writers I would credit with being my role models:

Erma Bombeck (truly an idol of sorts)

Dave Barry (sorry, I'm no literary giant)

Jane Austen (maybe this will give me SOME credibility)

Judy Blume (it's hard to believe Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret didn't influence me in some way since I read it 243 times - plus you gotta love a censored author... kinda)

Betty Smith

Anne Rice (though I fought against reading her for a LONG time and will never read her pre-conversion stuff - it's just not my genre)

Shel Silverstein (yes, I'm serious)

whoever writes for Dave Letterman - (I have to admire anyone who can just pull crap out of the hat of their imagination like that and be big-network for sooooo long--- of course I realize this is not just one guy all this time, but it's a fun thought in my little head)

Jack Handey. If you know who Jack Handey is, you are my best friend. If you don't know who Jack Handey is, let me share a brief excerpt from one of his books (4 are on my shelf). You may have heard of him on Saturday Night Live, unless you are/were thoroughly offended by that show, which I can actually understand. Anyway, the excerpt: "Sometimes the beauty of the world is so overwhelming, I just want to throw back my head and gargle. Just gargle and gargle, and I don't care who hears me, because I am beautiful."

I know I'm forgetting some... many, even. But those are the standouts.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Don't get too down on yourself, I'm so excited to follow you on your weight loss journey and I wish I had the guts to post my weight weekly-ahhhhhhh! Way to hold yourself accountable! Excited to read about your fav writers, and I can't wait to start an Erma Bombeck book!

Laura said...

Teri, I know this has nothing to do with your post....but I need dinner ideas, I'm burnt out on the same ol' stuff and need some fresh ideas to inspire me, can you help me? It's mandatory that it be easy, not require too many ingredients, and be kid-friendly. Help me friend please!!!

Unknown said...

I'll e-mail you! I don't think I'm the best mom in the kitchen, but maybe I can give you a couple ideas and then you should tell me the meals you use regularly, too.

heather said...

Judy Blume is my idol! I read all of her books growing up and when I was teaching 5th grade I tried to read some to my class (I think Superfudge was about the only one that I actually could read, though). Also, Jack Handey is hilarious!

Amy said...

I loved "Deep Thoughts" :>)