Friday, September 5, 2008

I asked Kevin what I should blog about...

...since I don't have any great inspiration. He suggested the riveting topic: "Igneous Rock Formations." I really thought he'd come up with something.

So this reminds me that on a secret blog I like to read, the writer's husband contributed a post. He observed that 1) lots of blogs are all about eating and/or are dedicated to recipes; 2) it's common to list random facts about yourself; 3) a lot of bragging goes on about kids with accompanying photos. I'm going to try all three!

1) My recipe of the day. I hosted a "first day of school" prayer brunch last week and my new friend Monica brought these muffins. They were delicious and are (relatively) low-fat so I asked for the recipe. Here it is:

Sweet Muffins

2 cups Bisquick
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup nonfat milk
Chocolate chips, or whatever sounds good

Combine ingredients and drop into greased/sprayed muffin tins. Bake at 400 degrees for 13-18 minutes.

2) Random facts about myself:
I am much more a night person than a morning person and look forward to my kids' teenage years when they stay up late and sleep in late. I'll be right there with them.

Today I discovered I have big issues with authority (which is funny considering I just signed up for a church with a Pope) and I want to work through this issue. I think it might have ties to everything from my eating habits to anger issues.

I just don't get sick of "Friends" reruns. Or "The Office."

I've never had arthritis.

Songs on my iPod with cuss words in them make me run faster and with more energy. (Why is this, by the way?)

I really really really liked Ronald Reagan.

3) Bragging about my kids and accompanying photos:
Joseph will be singing a solo in church this Sunday! (His father's genes.)
Cayna only took 9 days of Kindergarten to start writing her name properly (not using all caps).
Bethanie has the most beautiful laugh in the universe.
John is so smart he figured out that biting Mommy is a big "NO!" so after he takes a chunk of my flesh he starts furiously shaking his head "no".
And here are the photos:

This is Bethanie playing intently on a small pier on the big Snake River. We were on our summer vacation in Idaho and the kids all spent MUCH time catching minnows and water spiders.



Joseph was proud of a few non-uniform t-shirts we bought him toward the end of the school year -- this is one of them. He is pictured here in the 70+ year-old log cabin we stayed in on our vacation. It was quite rustic, that's all I'll say.



Handsome John in a swing at the Bighorn Sheep park. I could brag on and on about what a wonderful little boy he is, but truth be told he ate some sheep poop soon after this photo was taken.



Cayna is a joy and a beauty. This is the best photo to share since she's wearing her favorite piece of clothing - a swimsuit. No matter the season, she almost prefers swimwear to princess regalia.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I will try the recipe, I love anything made with Bisquick.

So glad to read you don't have arthritous and you're dealing with your authority issues, I have issues too, but I won't share them today.

And.....your children are adorable. I especially loved the fact about eating sheep poop-funny! When are you gonna have another?

heather said...

I was totally remembering the days when I was nursing and my children decided to "clamp down" their jaws...and then proceed to shake their heads. Yeah, it's a feeling you don't easily forget. Thanks for being my biggest fan....along with Laura. You guys are awesome. I wish you lived closer, too! Come visit!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to have some more regularly-blogging buddies!

Laura, I think of you whenever I use Bisquick and see that recipe for Cheeseburger Pie. Remember making that? Or having it at my house, I think?

Laura said...

oh yes I remember...do you still make it? I do every now and then.

Unknown said...

Me, too. I just don't call it Cheeseburger Pie for my kids' sake. The name would gross them out. Kinda even grosses me out, but what else would you call it?

Laura said...

how about Bisquick Surprise? Oh wait that's way worse, let me think about it and I'll get back to you....