Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday Start

At the close of this lovely Sabbath day, I'm aware of a few things:

1) Love and mercy, the focus of the homily today, not my strong suit. I need some prayer especially when it comes to some extended family members. That's all I'll say lest you start charging me for therapy.

2) Fire ants are a lot like velociraptors. I saw Jurassic Park. I learned many things from that movie (it maybe should have aired on PBS). Raptors are intelligent. In one scene, the scientists were noting that the raptors would attack parts of their fences and when they found weak areas, they'd continue to attack. When they noticed stronger areas, they'd just move on. Well, yesterday Kevin re-caulked the entire East side of our kitchen counter, where the ants have been coming in. This morning we only saw TWO ANTS when we woke up for breakfast! That's about 419 less than usual! Take that, dumb ants! It was a refreshing treat to not have to wash their lifeless carcasses off my dishrag. But here's my fear. With their cunning little raptor-like brains, they are moving on to try new, weaker areas of our kitchen defense. Any day now, will they break through into the pantry? Start coming out beneath the cabinets? Seep through the window? I think I'm going to give myself nightmares.

3) Three years ago today my step-dad died. And tomorrow is my baby's first birthday. Time flies and all that stuff.

4) My only desire for this afternoon was to work on the ten-dollar rocking chair I purchased at a garage sale and am trying to refinish. It didn't happen. I did, however, get a birthday cake baked. Win some, lose some. Today is the day of the cliche, it seems.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

We all need to work on love and mercy. You're absolutely right about the ants. Condolences and congratulations. I'll help you with the chair when I come to Vegas?

heathorock said...

happy birthday john!