Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It's a Mom's Life

Just returned home from our Moms' Group at church. The topic tonight was "Patience", and it sounds worn out and crucial at the same time. One thing I got from the talk (and a wise speaker) was that patience is suffering. I never thought of it that way, and believe me, I've thought a lot about patience.

So I have a lot to apply. A few things I'm thinking:
This morning I had half a second to read two chapters in Matthew. Bible reading first thing in the morning, while heroic, does not guarantee a holy day. Moments after closing the good book, I felt my blood pressure escalate when two out of four of my children woke up 45 minutes earlier than usual. I didn't respond as patiently as I would have liked, but maybe it would have been worse without the prayer/reading time?

Sugar contributes to my lack of patience. I'm cutting it out again. Say what you will, if I ever tame this beast, I'll become a saint. Like, instantly.

The fact that my baby boy (Joseph) is already almost 8 plus the fact that my real baby boy (John) just celebrated his first birthday proves to me that my time with my children is whizzing by. I'd rather mark my parenting with patience than ugliness and rage. (Duh, you say --- we all would --- but it's just good to be "reset" sometimes and keep affirming that I'm trying.)

Exercise also helps (a myriad of things, including my ability to be patient). I've had over a week off due to illness. Time to get back to it.

It was alarming that during a discussion time when we were asked to talk about someone we know who exemplifies patience, some of us couldn't think of anyone.

Well, I've been rambly, but I wanted to mark the significance of tonight with a blog post for posterity. Assuming I don't delete this blog on a whim, maybe I'll reread it when John is Joe's age now and see how far I've come by God's grace.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Patience, oh I seriously need more of that! Thanks for sharing.

Rachel said...

If you haven't read Anne Voskamp's pressure cooker post (on her blog Holy Experience) yet you should. Sometimes it's helpful to remember that the patience isn't just for our kid's benefit, it's making us into a better person, which will help us be happier. I had to laugh about how nobody could think of someone who exemplifies patience... until I thought about it and couldn't think of anyone either. Nobody that I know well anyway.

heather said...

What a great reminder! Thanks!

Ruby said...

Teri - you probably don't remember me, but if you do...I found your blog through Laura/Heather. It's great hearing about what's going on with you...and thanks for the inspiration.