Friday, September 12, 2008

Not too twaddly

The movie, that is (see my previous post). It was good. It is quite different from the book. I discovered this is Helen Hunt's baby - she produced, directed, and starred - and we'll say she "took some liberties". Surprisingly, in this case, the "liberties" made the movie a better story, but I need some time to iron this out in my head.

As I watched, I tried to decide if this was an adoption movie. I certainly wanted an adoption movie, and there were several scenes where that desire was satisfied, but plenty more was going on. The main character had her upbringing, faith, family, marriage, career, desire for children, and ALSO her newly-introduced birth mom to contend with. Watching all the parts of this woman's life swirl together, I actually came to applaud Helen Hunt as the screenwriter. She presented this character in a non-compartmentalized way. If she had focused only on the adoption aspect, it would have been a documentary rather than a comedy/drama. Forgive my over-application to my own life, but if I was only focused on the adoption aspect, the rest of my life would dwindle from lack of attention if my fantasy came true and my birth mom appeared. Right? So April, the main character, deals with ALL the parts of her life and the resulting story is entertaining and even inspiring.

Oddly, my two favorite parts aren't even adoption-centered:

First, I like the scene where April goes to the E.R. with her new boyfriend and his sick child. It is the middle of the night, or maybe very early morning, and she is exhausted and looks it. It is a poignant picture of the tremendous burden involved in parenting. And yet there's a sense that "this is just what you do, and it's okay".

Second, at a vital moment in April's life, her mom asks her if she'd like to pray. April refuses because she is tremendously frustrated at God and confused about his nature. (The age-old: "I thought God was supposed to be good, but here I am suffering with...") With her mother's help, she considers God in a new and brighter light and is able to sing, "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one." (the Jewish daily confession of faith from Deuteronomy 6) LOVED that part! At a moment when she felt most vulnerable, and most in need of all the attributes of God she cried out in acceptance toward his true nature. If this amazing moment of realization was Helen Hunt's intention, bravo!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for updating us on the movie. Now I have to get the book from the library and the movie from Netflix.

Unknown said...

Rachel, this is the one and only time in my life that I can recommend the movie over the book. The book is for SURE twaddle, just so there's no mistake. And not even captivating twaddle. But I did like the movie. If you do read & watch, I would sure like to know your thoughts afterward!

Sparky said...

Well, though I usually get a little cranky when TV/movies take liberties w/books, I may have to rent this movie now...thanks for the review.
But sidebar: Have you been watching "The Locator" on WeTV (Sat night at 6 or 9pm)? Last night was week two and he's been reuniting birth mothers/siblings. I cry everytime. Oh, and they happen to be headquartered in Fort Meyer, FL, which was where my birthmother was last time I checked. Makes me want to call them and say, "Hey, I've got an easy one for you...can you just go down the street?"

Unknown said...

I missed "The Locator!" I have Kevin looking into DVRing it next weekend right now.
You should TOTALLY call 'em! How can they refuse if they're right in the same city?
It would have been fun to watch that movie with you. I thought of you a ton while I watched. Let me know what you think if you do rent it.